Events 1874

Engraving of rocket being fired



24 February

Members mustered in the Watch House to be measured for their storm caps.

South Shields Volunteer Life Brigade

THE MEMBERS are requested to MUSTER in the Watchhouse on Tuesday, Feb. 24th, at 7 p m., to be measured for Storm Caps.

S. MALCOLM, Hon. Sec.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 21 February 1874

26 February

The Brigade was on stand-by during a storm.

Heavy Gale on the North East Coast

During last night, the weather, which had been very fine for season of the year, underwent a decided change. In the afternoon the air became very cold, and towards evening the wind began to rise, and blew in heavy gusts throughout the night.  About eight o'clock this morning rain began to fall in heavy showers and the wind increased to a heavy gale from the south-east. The sea rose to a great height, and the prospect seaward was very gloomy. A large number of laden vessels which had left the Tyne and adjacent ports during last two or three days, evidently seeing that a storm was approaching, put back and bore up for Shields Harbour. As they crossed the bar and came through the broken water between the piers under light canvass several of them were placed in great danger of being cast upon the rocks. Among the vessels which put back was the barque Matthew Cay, of South Shields, which left for Argosteria, on Monday last. She was in a dangerous position on one or two occasions in crossing the bar, but entered harbour in safety. A strict look-out was kept for the occurrence of any casualty, and Capt. Wilson and several of the members the South Shields Volunteer Life Brigade were in attendance at the Watch House on the pier, the van containing the rocket apparatus being in readiness for instant use. The sand swept over the South Pier In dense clouds, rendering it almost impossible, and it was with difficulty that the Brigade House could be reached. On the river everything seems to be quiet. the vessels which have put In for shelter the Annie Mlnde, Neilsen, from Denmark for Hull (barley); Union, of and from Shields for London; Mizpah, of and for London; H.M. cutter Active; screw-steamer Harvest Queen, of and from Dundee for Sunderland, and several Whitby fishing boats. Everywhere where a view of the sea and the entrance to the harbour can be obtained without direct exposure to the weather, groups of men are to be seen closely watching the vessels that are tossing about in their progress to the shelter of the Tyne. During the night the roof of a house in George Street, North Shields, occupied by Mr G. Stewart, was blown off, but happily no one sustained injury. Up till one o'clock to-day the gale was still prevailing with unabated violence, but no casualty had been reported.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 26 February 1874






9 July

The Annual Meeting took place in the Watch House.





28 November

The Lavinia came ashore on the Herd Sands. The Brigade set off with their equipment, but the crew were rescued by the lifeboat.

29 November

The Brigade rescued the crew of the Scylla.


9 December

The Brigade managed to make contact with the Henry Cooke, but the crew did not respond and all hands were drowned.

The Brigade rescued the crew of the J. P. Frecker.

12 December

After a long attempt to rescue the crew, the Brigade saved four of them, but two lives were lost.

The Breeze came aground next to the pier and the crew jumped onto it, meeting the Brigade who were proceeding along the pier.