Foggy Weather off the Tyne
Trawlers Ashore at Shields

Early this morning, the weather was foggy off the Tyne and the general traffic on the river was considerably interrupted. The River Tyne Commissioners' ferries, between North and South Shields, were stopped for several hours, but the half-penny ferry was enabled to convey passengers to and fro, and there was not much difficulty experienced by those anxious to cross the water. Up to a late hour this morning several laden steamers entered the harbour, having apparently been delayed outside until the fog lilted. The steamer Glendoven, bound to Alexandria, was detained at her moorings in the harbour on account of the condition of the atmosphere. The master of the steam-trawler Jasper, of North Shields, arrived in the Tyne this morning, and reports while off the Tyne about 1 15 a.m. the weather suddenly came in very thick. He was, however, enabled to enter the Tyne, but was obliged to proceed very cautiously. Other trawlers arriving report the fog at sea to be dense. About six o'clock the iron steam trawler Monarch, of South Shields, belonging to Mr Lawson, returned from the fishing with a number of baskets of fish. When opposite the Fish Pier, South Shields, the vessel ran ashore. All hands at once endeavoured to get the vessel off but without success. The Monarch is in no apparent danger, as she is on sandy bottom. Shortly afterwards, as the screw-steam tug Salamander, belonging Leith, was making for the harbour to land her cargo of fish, she stranded almost alongside the Monarch. The cargoes of both trawlers are being discharged by means of boats. It was reported that another local trawler had gone ashore during the prevalence of the fog, but the rumour has not been confirmed.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 19 September 1888

The Stranded Tugs

Writing this afternoon, our river reporter says; —The steam-trawlers Monarch and Salamander, which went ashore on the South Shields Fish Pier early this morning during the prevalence of the foggy weather, were successfully got off about noon, and brought into the harbour. The Monarch proceeded direct to Moralee's Graving Dock, Tyne Dock. The damage caused by the stranding is of a slight nature. The Salamander is none the worse for the accident. With respect to the rumour that was current in Shields this morning that another steam-tug had gone ashore. We learn that a local boat, while making for the Tyne, touched the ground, but succeeded in getting off without sustaining any damage.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 19 September 1888