Sad Disaster Near North Pier
Steamer Sunk in Collision
Eight Men Drowned
Remarkable Escapes

Between five and six o'clock last night a disastrous collision, unfortunately resulting in loss of life, occurred at the entrance to Shields Harbour.

It appears that the Danish steamer Knud, coal laden, outward bound from the Tyne for Gandia when opposite the Spanish Battery came into collision with the steamer Swaledale, inward bound.

The weather was very stormy at the time with a heavy sea running, and the collision was of so violent a nature that the Knud sank before any of her boats could be launched by those on board.

Fortunately the pilot steamer was the time returning to harbour and seeing the disaster at once made for the spot. But for her prompt assistance undoubtedly there would have been a more serious loss of life. The pilot lifeboat, which was being towed astern of the steamer, was quickly launched by Edward Burn, James Ramsey, and Joseph Marshall.

They were instrumental in saving the chief mate, E. Hansen, and the carpenter and two firemen who were struggling in the water in an exhausted condition. The men were landed at the Sailors' Home, North Shields, where they received every attention.

The Knud sank almost immediately. The Swaledale, considerably damaged, proceeded up the harbour with part of the crew of the Knud on board.

The men rescued by the Swaledale proved to be the second mate, two firemen and one seaman of the ill-fated vessel. These, with the men landed by pilot boat, form so far as can be ascertained, all the survivors of the Knud, which had a crew of either 16 or 18 hands, it is uncertain which.

Interview with the Chief Mate
Story of the Disaster

The shipping reporter of the Gazette obtained an interview with Mr Hansen, the chief mate, who stated that at the time of the collision he was on the forecastle. The disaster took place without any warning, the Swaledale striking the Knud amidships near the engine room. The Knud immediately gave signs of heeling over.

Mr Hansen rushed aft to the cabin to secure the log book, but had to beat a hasty retreat, as the water was pouring into her through the gaping rent in her side.

The crew rushed to the starboard side with the intention of getting out the boats, but this was found to be impossible, as the vessel suddenly heeled over to port. The men then made a rush for the rigging, up which they swarmed.
By this time the Knud was rapidly settling down aft, her stern being submerged, with the seas breaking over the rigging, where the men had taken refuge; several men being washed off. Suddenly the mainmast fell with a loud crash and the rigging also gave way, having, it is supposed, been cut through by the bow of the Swaledale.

The Knud, which had been rapidly settling down, suddenly disappeared, Hansen and his companions being thrown into the sea, where they were picked up by the pilot boat, as already narrated.

Later Particulars
Serious Illness of the Carpenter

This morning our representative, on making inquiries at the Sailors Home, North Shields, ascertained that the carpenter of the ill-fated steamer Knud, who was over half-an-hour, in the water before being rescued, had somewhat recovered, after passing an extremely bad night. Dr Martin and his assistant had, together with Mr Brown, the superintendent, and his wife, been in attendance on the sufferers. The patient was much better this morning, though still confined to his bed. The rest of the crew have completely recovered from the effects of their long immersion in the water. The men speak in the warmest terms of the treatment they received at the hands of Mr and Mrs Brown, who had them well looked after, and the nourishment which they received had the effect of rapidly bringing them to. They also received an entire outfit of clothing through the agency of the Shipwrecked Mariners' Society.

Statement by the Second Officer

Mr N. Nielsen, the second mate of the Knud, who had such a providential escape, together with two of the firemen and a seaman, was well enough to be interviewed. Mr Nielsen, who is quite a young man, states that he was on the after deck at the time of the collision. The force of the impact was terrific. One of the lifeboats was smashed into matchwood, and the Swaledale had practically penetrated the engine room of the doomed steamer, which at once commenced to settle down. He shouted to the steward hasten on deck, and this he did very promptly. They both made a frantic rush to secure the port lifeboat, with a view of getting it ready. By this time the mainmast fell with an awful crash. Any chance getting out the lifeboat was found to be entirely out of the question. The port lifeboat was completely jammed in the wreckage and the forestays. Mr Nielsen and his companions, seeing their retreat cut off on the portside, ran over to the starboard. There were fortunately, some loose chains hanging over the bows of the Swaledale. To grasp these chains and keep themselves afloat by this means was now their only hope of saving themselves till succour was rendered. It was a matter life and death at that moment, for every plunge the Swaledale took threatened to throw the men off the chains into the sea. With superhuman effort the second officer, followed by the two firemen and a seaman, gained the forecastle head of the Swaledale.

The Fate of Captain Sorensen

One of the four men who clambered up the bow chains of the Swaledale states that some one clutched hold of his leg, and then he heard cries for help, which were undoubtedly those of the unfortunate master. No assistance could be rendered, and moment afterwards Capt. Sorensen had released his hold and disappeared into the sea.

The Engineers

The first engineer, Mr Olesen, and the third engineer Bache were not seen at all by the others, and the general opinion is that the unfortunate men must have been unable to get out of the engine room before the steamer went down. The engine room being smashed in, their escape would be almost impossible, and there is now little or no doubt that they were drowned by the inrush of water.

A Visit to the Scene of the Wreck

On making a visit to the scene of the wreck, some additional information was gathered this morning. Just as daybreak was breaking the coastguard had a sad duty to perform, for near the Spanish Battery rocks one the victims was washed ashore. The body was that of man about forty years of age, and deceased had on his right hand a gold ring. The body was subsequently removed on a stretcher to the dead house. From the description it would appear that the body is that of the steward, Mr Nielsen.

The collision occurred shortly after half-past five o'clock last evening in a strong easterly wind and heavy sea, but the weather was clear. Approximately the Knud foundered about 700 to 800 yards south-east of the Spanish Battery. At low water only a small portion of the vessel is visible, which is supposed to be part of her bridge.

A Serious Danger to Navigation

Those who are best acquainted with the navigation of the Tyne consider that the wreck the Knud is a serious danger to the vessels arriving in the harbour, and prompt measures will have to be taken to disperse the vessel's hull. In view of this danger the pilot steamer stayed near the wreck and signalled all approaching vessels of the dangerous position of the submerged vessel. In the meantime the harbour authorities sent the tug Derby down to the scene of the wreck to act as watch vessel.

The Efforts to Rescue the Crew

Inspector Craven, the chief of the coastguard at Tynemouth, very promptly gave alarm signals on the collision occurring, and sent his men get the lifeboat ready for the lifeboatmen, so that no delay would be occasioned. It was found quite impracticable to make use of the rocket apparatus as the wreck was too far out.

There was a spontaneous response to man the lifeboat Forester from the Spanish Battery under the command of Coxswain Smith. The Forester was got afloat so rapidly that she was actually pulling towards the sunken steamer within quarter-of-an-hour from the time the alarm was given. They met one of the boats which had been launched from the Swaledale, in the hope of picking up some of the crew, but nothing was seen but wreckage drifting down the harbour. The lifeboat men pulled round the scene where the Knud had sunk, but no signs of any of the unfortunate men could be seen. The seas were then breaking furiously over her broadside.

The Bedford was also launched from South Shields, and did all that it could to aid the work of rescue.

Captain’s Body Found

Last evening about nine o'clock, a body was washed up on the Low Lights shore, Tynemouth, and proved to that of the captain of the ill-fated Knud—Mr Sorensen.

The remains were removed to the mortuary.

List of the Drowned

J. Sorensen, captain (42), married, five young children.
O Olesen, chief engineer, (47), widower, leaves a family.
L. Svensen, second engineer (25), unmarried.
Bache, third engineer (22), unmarried.
H. Nielsen, steward (40), four children.
Johansen, cook (20), single.
H. Nielsen, able seaman, married.
A young man an ordinary seaman.

The Damage to the Swaledale

The steamer Swaledale, it has now been ascertained, has sustained more damage than it was first thought. Some of the shell plates are damaged, while some of the frames are believed to be broken. The force of the collision may be imagined from the fact that some rivets on the starboard side have been completely dislodged. The principle damage is below the water line. The Swaledale, which is a magnificent vessel of her class, is built with a clipper bow. The chains which run from the stem to the bowsprit were smashed, and the poor men of the Knud saved themselves by hauling themselves up these chains.

The Colliding Vessels

The Knud was a well-known trader to the Tyne. She was an iron screw steamer of 1,020 tons gross and 630 tons net register, and was built at Aberdeen in 1871. The vessel was owned in Aalborg, Denmark, having been purchased from British owners, who ran her under the name of Aberdeen. The Swaledale is a steel screw steamer of 3,658 tons gross and 2,348 tons net register. She was built at Sunderland in 1897, and is owned by Sir James Laing and Sons, Ltd., of that port.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 21 November 1902

The Sunken Steamer Knud
A Dangerous Wreck
Harbour Authorities’ Precautions

The Harbour authorities have taken every precaution to adopt means to warn inward bound vessels of the sunken steamer Knud, which is totally submerged at high water. She lies about 1,900 feet west by south of the Lighthouse the outer end of the North pier, and about 140 feet northward the line of the Harbour leading lights, and bears about S.E. of the Collingwood Monument at Tynemouth. The Knud lies on her port broadside in about sixteen feet of water at low water, ordinary spring tides, and is heading ENE. The wreck in the meantime will be marked by a wreck buoy, and the tug Derby will act as the watch vessel.

Although a diligent look-out is being kept by the coastguard at Tynemouth no more bodies have been recovered.

Mr George Andersen, the New Quay, North Shields, has made arrangements with Mr Fogg for the embalming of the remains of Captain Sorensen, and those of the steward, H. Nielsen, which will be conveyed on board the Danish passenger steamer Primula, The Primula will sail on Tuesday from the Albert Edward Dock bound for Denmark, where the deceased men are to be interred. The relations of H. Nielsen, the able seaman, who is an elderly man, have asked Mr Andersen should the body be found to have it embalmed and sent over Denmark for internment. The remainder of the bodies in the event of their recovery will be buried at North Shields.

The carpenter, who has been so seriously ill, although he has passed a somewhat restless night was somewhat better this morning.

It may be stated that when captain Sorensen s body was found, a beautiful gold watch was found on his person, which was presented to the deceased, and is valued at over sixty guineas.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 22 November 1902


NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Screw Steamer “Knud," about 231 feet long, now lies sunk within the entrance to the River Tyne about 1,900 feet West by South of the lighthouse on the outer end of the North Pier, and about 140 feet northward of the line of the Harbour Lights, and bears about S.E. of the Collingwood Monument at Tynemouth.

She lies on her port broadside in about 16 feet of water at Low Water Ordinary Spring Tides, and is heading E.N.E.

Until further notice the Sunken Vessel will be marked by a wreck buoy, and also, when practicable, by a watch vessel riding to the eastward of the wreck, exhibiting by day a green flag and by night two white lights placed horizontally.

Until the vessel is raised and removed, Masters, Pilots, and others are enjoined to exercise great caution when passing.

By Order,

ROBERT URWIN, Secretary.

Tyne Improvement Commission Offices,
21st November, 1902.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 22 November 1902

The Sunken Steamer Knud
Inquest on the Victims

Deputy Coroner H. T. Rutherford opened an inquiry at the Town Hall Buildings, North Shields, on Saturday night, into the circumstances attending the death of J. P. Sorensen, captain, and H, Nielsen, steward, on board the s.s. Knud, which foundered in Shields harbour, after being in collision with the s.s. Swaledale on Thursday evening last, and through which eight lives were lost.

Mr H. K. Strange, from the office of Messrs Botterell and Roche, Sunderland, represented the owners of the Swaledale, the master, and the pilot. A Government interpreter was also present along with other officials.

The first and only witness called on Saturday was Niels Nielsen, who stated he was a native of Aalborg, Denmark, and was until Thursday night employed as second mate on board the steamer Knud of Aalborg. He had seen the body lying at the Low Lights mortuary, and he identified it as that of Captain J. P. Sorensen. Deceased, who was 48 years of age, was master of the Knud, and was also a native of Aalborg. The body lying in the mortuary at Tynemouth Haven, he identified as that of Hans L. Nielsen, who was 39 years of age, and employed as steward on board the ill-fated vessel. Deceased was also a native of Aalborg. Both of the deceased men were drowned in the river Tyne on Thursday night through the sinking of the s.s. Knud, after being in collision with the Swaledale.

At this stage the Coroner intimated that that was far as he proposed going with the evidence on that occasion. The inquiry would have to be adjourned.

Mr H. K. Strange took that opportunity of expressing the very great regret which the owners, master and pilot of the Swaledale felt at the most unfortunate occurrence. The relatives of the deceased men had their deepest sympathy.

The jury then decided to adjourn the inquiry until three o'clock to-morrow (Tuesday) afternoon.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 24 November 1902



SIR,—As agents for the Danish steamer Knud, which was sunk after collision with the English steamer Swaledale at the entrance to the Tyne on Thursday night, we propose to open out a relief fund for the benefit of the widows, children, and dependants of the eight brave fellows who lost their lives at the post of duty.

Some of the cases are exceptionally sad and distressing, and we shall be pleased to receive and acknowledge donations however small.

In making this appeal we have the cooperation and support of J. V. Faber, Esq., Danish Consul, and knowing the generosity of the people of England, we have full confidence they will respond most heartily on behalf of our bereaved Danish sisters and their little ones.—Yours, etc.,

T. H. Catcheside &. Co.


Source: Shields Daily Gazette 24 November 1902


THE TYNE IMPROVEMENT COMMISSIONERS HEREBY GIVE NOTICE that in pursuance of the powers vested in them the Harbours, Docks, and Piers Clauses Act 1847, The Merchant Shipping Act 1894, The Tyne Improvement Acts 1850 to 1902 and every other Act enabling them in that behalf have taken possession of, and it is their intention to raise, remove, destroy, sell, break up, or otherwise dispose of. or cause to be raised, removed, destroyed, sold, broken up, or otherwise disposed of, as they may deem fit, the wreck of the above named vessel, and its cargo, stores, tackle, equipments, and other appurtenances now sunk within the entrance to the River Tyne, and which is an obstruction to navigation of the said River.

By Order,


Tyne Improvement Commission Offices,
24th November, 1902.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 25 November 1902

The Inquest
Story of the Collision

Yesterday Deputy Coroner H. T. Rutherford re-opened the inquiry at the Police Buildings, North Shields, into the circumstances attending the death of Jens Peter Sorensen, captain, and Hans Lindore Nielsen, steward, of the s.s. Knud, who were drowned through the foundering of that vessel after being in collision with the Sunderland steamer Swaledale, near the North Pier, on Thursday evening last.

Mr Host from Messrs Neilsen Andersen and Co., of Newcastle, attended as interpreter, and amongst others present were Mr W.M. Roche (Messrs Botterill and Roche, Sunderland), who appeared on behalf of the owners, master, and pilot of the Swaledale, and Mr J. V. Fabar, Danish Consul at Newcastle.

Niels Nielsen, second mate of the Knud, said his vessel left her berth at Tyne Dock to proceed to sea at 4.50 on Thursday, on a voyage to Gandia. They had a duly licensed pilot on board, and he left them just beyond the Groyne light. It was clear weather, and darkness was just setting in. The lights of the other vessel were visible before the pilot left. The top white light and the red light could be seen. At that time it did not seem though the approaching vessel was bearing down upon them and likely to collide. About five minutes after the pilot left he observed the other vessel's green light, which meant that the Swaledale had changed her course. Witness was clearing the log line, to put out at the after deck at that time. After seeing the green light of the approaching steamer, the captain of the Knud gave two short blasts with the whistle, indicating that he was starboarding his helm. The other vessel did not answer, but must have changed her course, because she again showed her red light. Witness could not say how far the other vessel was from them then, but (witness) went away to let boats go, because soon as he saw the red light again he thought there was a likelihood of a collision. The steward went with him, but before they could get the boat launched the collision happened. The approaching vessel struck the Knud on the starboard side, close to the engine room a little abaft of amidships, and at once the latter vessel commenced slowly to sink. Witness climbed over the bows of the Swaledale, and about quarter of hour afterwards, as near as he could tell, the Knud sank.

The Coroner: Was anything done on board the Swaledale to save the men on the Knud?—No not at first when the collision occurred.

When was there anything done?-When I got on board and shouted to those on board the Swaledale to launch a boat. They did that a considerable time afterwards.

Did the Swaledale stand by some time?- She was drifting up the river athwart, so it could not have been kept going to stand by.

Was her boat out though to help the men on the Knud?—Yes, the Swaledale's boat went towards the sinking vessel but didn't pick anybody up.

Did any of the Knud's crew get on board the Swaledale? Yes, myself and three others.

In reply to further questions by the Coroner, witness said could not tell how far the vessel was from land but they had passed the Black Middens.

By Mr Roche: He (witness) was standing aft when the pilot left the ship, but could not at the moment see what was done with the helm of the Knud. Until he went to the small boat he was moving about the deck but did not observe what was done with the Knud's helm. He had frequently been in the Tyne, and knew it was the rule for vessels leaving the harbour to sail in the south channel, and incoming vessels to take the north channel with the two leading lights in one. When he first saw the Swaledale she was outside of the pier, and entered the river the North side, but immediately afterwards seemed to sheer round towards the south side. He could not say that the Swaledale got south of mid-channel. The Knud went down the river on the south side. He knew they were on the south side because the lights were parted, but could not say whether she kept on the south side all the way, as he could not see the shifting helm. When the Knud blew the two short blasts, it meant that they would pass starboard to starboard.

Mr Roche: And they would then proceed on her wrong side.

At this stage Mr Host objected to put the questions, as he had been instructed by the solicitors for the Knud not to go into detail.

Mr Roche thought it was very unfair for an interpreter, who was supposed to have no interests in the proceedings, to take up the position of advocate.

After the Coroner had commented upon the fact, Mr Host retired as interpreter.

Witness went on to say the Swaledale had not put her boat out when he got over the bows. It was only a minute after the collision when he got over there. He could not say how long after the boats were got out.

The Coroner: Do you think everything was done to save the crew of the Knud? I think they were a little slow, but I believe they did what they could.

The Coroner: Slowness is only a question of degree. The men on the Swaledale might think they were very quick.

David A. Hansen, chief officer of the Knud, was called and corroborated the last, witness, so far sighting the other vessel and seeing her lights, red and white at first, and then showing her green. Witness was standing on the fo’c'sle deck at the time. When the Swaledale showed the green light the Knud blew, an indication to go starboard. The Swaledale did not alter her course, but showed her green light. Again the captain of the Knud gave two blows, and the Swaledale answered by one blow and then showed her red light. Captain Sorensen then gave three blows, which meant he was going full speed astern. At that time they expected there would be a collision, and a moment later the Swaledale ran into them, between the bridge and mainmast on the starboard side. Witness ran aft to look after the port boat, but he found the vessel was sinking, and he went to the cabin to get the log-book. When he returned the vessel was not quite under water, and witness, who was cast into the water through her sinking, was picked up by the pilot boat. He could not say what efforts were made by the Swaledale to save the crew.

By Mr Roche: All the time he was on the fo’c'sle deck he could see what was done with the helm, and only knew it would be starboarded when the two blows were given. They were on the south side of the river when the pilot left them, and when the two blasts were given they were on the south side, but he could not say they were well over. The Swaledale would be on the south side of the river when the two blasts were given. The Swaledale seemed to be bearing about one point on their starboard bow when he first saw the green light. Before seeing the green light he saw the red light of the Swaledale right ahead. Immediately he saw the greenlight, he heard the first two blasts the Knud's whistle. The two vessels would then be about quarter of a mile apart. When he saw the Swaledale's light the last time, the ships were very near. The Swaledale gave one blow twice, and when the last blow was given, he knew there was going be a collision. He could not say whether the Swaledale entered the river on the north side or not. The engines were going astern when the vessel was going down. He did not hear three short blasts from the Swaledale.

Formal evidence of the finding of the bodies was then given.

Mr Roche then called Capt. Herbert John Richardson, of the s.s. Swaledale. He said on Thursday night last they arrived off the Tyne at 4.50 p.m. with ballast and waited for a pilot. When the pilot got on board they started to come in. They had the leading lights as one; if anything, they were slightly open to the north. As near as he could say it would be about 5.15 p.m., when he got between the piers. He kept the proper course right into the river, and upon approaching the Battery Rocks he first saw the Knud. He saw the green, red, and white lights almost directly ahead. Witness blew one blast and ported his helm to show his red light clearly and “declare it." The Knud replied with one blast of her whistle, but did not alter her lights. Witness gave a second blast, which the Knud answered with another single blast. After that the approaching steamer suddenly shut in her red light. Witness ordered full speed astern immediately, and gave three blasts with the whistle. .Before he could stop the way on his vessel he collided with the Knud, which kept crossing his bows with her green light open. At time of the collision, witness was well to the north of the leading lights line. He knew the Knud was now lying 140 feet north of the line of the leading lights. The Knud was never anywhere near the south side of the river. If she had kept the south channel the collision could never have happened. As soon as he put the engines astern, he ordered the port boat out, just before the collision. When the vessels struck, he kept them together as long could, but the wind and tide caught his vessel and sent him athwart. The Swaledale's small boat was in the water within a couple of minutes of the actual collision. A pilot steamer and other boats came and made a search for the men. He and his crew did everything they could to help the meu. His vessel was in a very awkward position, but the first tug which came to him he ordered away to the seat of the disaster to give what assistance it could there.


This concluded the evidence.

The Coroner then summed and reminded the jury that whatever vessel was to blame for the collision, was question which did not affect them that day, but might be a matter for civil action in another Court. From the evidence of Nielsen and Capt. Richardson, he thought the jury would find that everything possible was done save the lives of the Knud's crew.

The Jury returned verdict that the deceased were accidentally drowned through the s.s. Knud and s.s. Swaledale being in collision.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 26 November 1902

The Survivors

The survivors of the Knud, including the two mates, left North Shields this morning for Denmark. The first and second officers proceeded to West Hartlepool to join a steamer bound direct for Aalborg, while the other six men left with the Danish passenger vessel Primula for Copenhagen. Before taking their leave from the Tyne Sailor's Home, the survivors personally thanked Mr Brown, the superintendent, for the kindness he and his wife had shown them during the period they had stayed there.

The River Commissioners' have now taken charge of the wreck, but what steps are to be taken in regard to the removal or disposal of the sunken vessel have not yet been decided. The steamer, which lies on her broad side, it is anticipated, may have parted amidships through the heavy seas which have prevailed at the mouth of the harbour since the time of the collision. In consequence of the strong seas running this morning, this supposition that the Knud had broken in two could not be confirmed, as an inspection of the wreck was found impracticable.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 26 November 1902

The Knud Disaster
Removal of the Bodies
Latest Particulars

The arrangements for the conveyance of the bodies of Captain Jens Sorensen and the steward Nielsen of the ill-fated steamer Knud board the Danish passenger steamer Primula from the Albert Edward Dock to Copenhagen were cancelled during the course of Monday. Mr George Andersen, New Quay, North Shields, received a cablegram from the owner wishing that the remains of the two deceased men should be brought direct to Aalborg by the steamer Swarland which is due to leave Warkworth in a day or so for Aalborg. Mr Andersen who has done everything possible under the sad circumstances accordingly made the desired arrangement, and on Monday, amid solemn ceremony, the two bodies were conveyed to Warkworth by rail, where they will be taken on board the Swarland.

The news of the lamentable disaster has aroused the greatest sympathy in Aalborg, where Captain Sorensen and the whole of the other seven men were well known and highly respected. On arrival at Aalborg the remains will be landed, practically speaking, at the doors of the relatives of the men. It may mentioned in connection with this particularly distressing affair that the master of Swarland who has been entrusted with this duty, was intimately acquainted with Captain Sorensen for many years.

The carpenter of the Knud, whose condition caused much uneasiness for some days, has now almost completely recovered, thanks to the careful nursing and attention he received at the Tyne Sailors' Home, where the survivors are still located. Now that he can give a clear account how he managed to save himself when death was so near, he says it was owing to the fact that he kept himself afloat clinging to a plank till the pilot lifeboat dragged him out of the water.

No further recovery of bodies was reported up to this morning, and there seems a general impression that some may yet be in the wreck. There is little doubt existing but that the first and third engineers are still in the engine room where they were at the post of duty when the Knud foundered.
The watch vessel is still watching the wreck. In regard to its removal or otherwise nothing definite is known, but a decision, it is stated, will be arrived at without much delay as the Knud is recognised as a most dangerous obstacle to navigation for inward bound ships.

The steamer Swaledale, which is still in Smith's Dock, North Shields, is flying her flag at half mast.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 26 November 1902



Sir, —We are pleased to acknowledge the following donations towards the fund for the widows and children of the men who lost their lives through the collision between the Knud and Swaledale on the River Tyne last week: —J. V. Faber. Esq., Danish Consul, £10 10s; captain, officers, and crew of the Danish steamer Fredensborg, £4; Adam Bros, and Co., £2 2s; Mrs W. H. Scott, Tynemouth, £1; Messrs John Smith and Sons, £1 1s; P. B. Crease, Esq., £1 1s; Matthew Rose, Esq., 5s; Messrs C. Hassell and Son, £1 1s; Messrs Ludke and Steel, £1 1s; “Pato" 1s ; Miss Thomas, 1s; Elsie Hunter, 1s; Mr Hunter, 3s; J. J. Longhurst,Esq.,10s 6d; F. W. W., 2s 6d ; C. Bueman, Esq., £1 ; Gallowgate Post Mark, 10s ; William Richards and Sons, per Mr Henzell, £1 1s; C. A. Bushell, Esq., 10s. Our appeal has certainly been very generously responded to and we shall be glad to receive and acknowledge any further donations towards the fund.— Yours, etc.,

T. H. Catcheside & Co

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 27 November 1902

The Steamer Knud

Nothing has yet been decided as to the disposal removal of the wrecked steamer Knud which foundered between the Tyne piers after collision. The latest accounts concerning the condition of the Knud is that the vessel's stern has sunk further down within these last two days, which would indicate that the hull has most likely parted in two. Some salvage contractors nave paid a visit South Shields in connection with the removal of the wreck.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 28 November 1902



Sir,— May ask you to allow us to acknowledge some further donations on behalf of the fund we are raising for the widows and children of the poor fellows who lost their lives in this disaster William Woodcock, tug boat owner, South Shields, £1; Capt. Moller, Danish steamer Laura, 5s; Charles Gee and Co., London, £3 3s; Mr John Chicken, Howdon Dock,2s  6d; A. Bjerregaard and Co., Newcastle, 10s; Capt. Grevenitz, German steamer Emma Sauber, 5s; Mr John Hutchinson, Tyne pilot, 10s; Fedden Bros, and Co., Newcastle, £1 1 s; W. R. Heatley , Esq., £1 1s; Jas. Wilson, Esq., 3s; R. M. Hudson, Esq., Sunderland Consulate, £2 2s; Sir James Laing and Sons, Ltd., owners of Swaledale, £5 5s ; Holzapfels Composition Co., Ltd., £3 3s; Hall Bros., Newcastle, £1 1s; J. A. France and Co., Newcastle, £1 1s; Sir John Swinburne, Capheaton Hall, £1. Some of our correspondents appear to be ignorant as to the number of widows and children that are left. The captain left a widow and five children, the steward a widow and four children, the chief engineer four children, who only lost their mother about a month ago and are therefore orphans, a seaman a widow and two young children; the remaining four men were single. We shall be glad to receive and acknowledge any further donations the generous public may send us.—Yours, etc., T. H. Catcheside & Co.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 29 November 1902


(To the editor of the "Shields Gazette")

Sir,— Will you kindly allow us to acknowledge the following additional donations for the widows and children of the poor fellows who lost their lives on November 20th:—John S. Robson and Co., £1 1s; Miss Lowery, £1 1s; Mrs G. Cummings, the Horden Collieries per Feetham and Whitwell, £2 2s; Spanish Shipping Co., £5 5s; Mr John Page, 5s; John Campbell, 2s 6d; Breyen Richardson and Co, £1 1s; Captain Wm. Lowrie, £1 1s; Captain Jennebeck, s.s. Paul Andrejeff, £1 1s; Blyth Pilots, £5. The total now reaches £71 7s, and the owners write us the families in question are in great need, we shall be pleased to receive and acknowledge further donations.—Yours, etc.,

T. H. Catcheside and Co.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 2 December 1902

The Sunken Steamer Knud
Vessel to be Blown Up

The sunken hull of the ill-fated Danish steamer Knud, of Aalborg, which foundered north of mid-Channel the Tyne, after collision with the steamer Swaledale, is deemed a hopeless wreck, and the best course that can be adopted to remove this obstacle, which is considered a menace to navigation, is by blowing up the vessel. The Knud is practically in two, the breach in the vessel's broadside having been widened through the heavy sea prevailing the last few days till the fore and after parts have been almost severed. Already a quantity of wreckage has come ashore, but, no further recovery of bodies has been affected. The work of dispersing the wreck is to be carried out by the Commissioners, and the work will be under the immediate directions of their engineer, Mr Walker, assisted by the harbour-master and officials. Operations are, understand, to be commenced without delay. In the meantime the usual precautions will be taken to guard against any mishap to incoming vessels by the watch tug Electric being continually stationed in the vicinity of the wreck till all danger has passed.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 6 December 1902

The Sunken Knud
Blowing Up the Wreck

The hull of the Danish steamer Knud, which, it will be remembered, sank north of mid-channel in the Tyne after collision, will not long remain a menace to navigation. The Tyne Commissioners have already begun to remove the wreck by blowing it up. The work is being actively pushed forward, and already several shots have been fired with gratifying results. The work is under the direction of the Commissioners' engineer, assisted by the Harbour Master and his staff.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 16 December 1902


(To the editor of "Shields Gazette.")

Sir,—Will you allow us to acknowledge the following further donations on behalf of the widows and children of the eight men who lost their lives through the sinking the Danish steamer Knud on our river the 20th November last?— A friend, 2s 6d; captain, officers, and crew of the Danish steamer Jagersborg, £3 10s; Captain Jorgensen, Danish steamer Fredriksborg, £1; officers and crew of Danish steamer Fredriksborg, £5 5s; captain and officers of Danish steamer Frode, £4 10s; Mrs Youll. £1 1s; Frank Batey, tugboat owner, 10s ; Oscar Gad, Esq., Sunderland, £1 1s; Bedlington Coal Co., £5 5s; Barclay and Co., Ltd., Bankers, £5 5s; William Mathwin and Son, £5 5s; F. W., 5s; Romler and Co., Newcastle, £1 1s. We shall be glad to receive and acknowledge any further donations on behalf the above named fund.—Yours, etc.,

T. H. Catcheside and Co.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 17 December 1902



Sir, —Will you kindly allow us acknowledge the following further donations for the widows and children of the men who lost their lives: —Louis Zollner. Esq., £1 1s; W . Glendenning and Sons, Ltd., 10s 6d ; Mr Chr. Lund, s.s. Patria, £2 ; Captain Alf. Harder, s.s. Constantin, 10s; John Myguir, 5s; Mr J. F. Howdon, 2s 6d ; officers and crew of s.s. Patria £6 5s ; Mr J. T. Bondesen, 2s 6d ; captain, officers and crew of s.s. Jylland, £4; Captain Holtenberg, s.s. Alexander Shukoff, £2 10s 6d; captain, officers and crew of s.s. Danmark, £4 16s; Captain E. C. Domel, 5s;, A. Hub, North Shields. 10s; C. S. Swan and Hunter, Wallsend, £3 3s; Eccentric, 2s 6d; Harry and Louie, 2s 6d. The total amount received up to date amounts to £191, and our next acknowledgment, will probably be the last, as we intend closing the fund at the end of the year.—Yours, etc.

T. H. Catcheside & Co.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 31 December 1902



Sir —We have received a very handsome donation from the Wholesale Co- Society, a cheque for £25, and in addition to this we have received £12 from the Tyne pilots, consisting of the following contributions:-Robert Ramsay, 10s 6d; James Burn, 10s; Robert Pickering, 5s; Robert Purvis, 2nd, 5s; E. C. Burn, 5s; H. Tinmouth, 5s; J. W. Purvis, 5s; Robert Chambers, 5s : Robert Phillips 1st, 5s; Thomas H. Purvis 5s;  Thomas C. Purvis, 5s; John Burn,2nd 5s;R. Leslie, 5s; J. T. C, 5s; Thomas Young 3rd, John Brown 5s,D Marshall, 5s; John Marshall, 2nd, 5s; John Young, 5s; R. H. Thurlbeck, 5s; James Young, lst, 3s; J. H. Pickering 2s 6d; John Duncan, 2s 6d; James Carter, 2s 6d; J. B. 2s 6d; Martin Purvis 2nd, 10s; George Morrison 5s; James Purvis 3rd, 5s; Jacob Bone, 5s; Amos L Ayre, 5s; H. Purvis, 5s; W.M .Young, 5s; James Purvis 2nd,5s; Thomas Young 2nd, 5s; M C Reed 5s; Charles Burn 2nd, 5s; Robert Heron 5s; James Young 2nd, 5s; T.L. Wright 5s; B. Heron, 2nd, 5s; J. W. Marshall, 5s;  Thomas Tinmouth, 5s;  Henry Young, 4s; Friends, 3s; Jos. Wright, 2s 6d; W. Marshall 2nd 2s 6d; W. Tinmouth 1st, 2s 6d; Lancelot Burn 3rd, 2s; and we also beg to acknowledge the following:- R. Oliver Heslop, £1 1s; a friend, 10s; Mr S. Houghson, South Shields, 10s 6d; C.W.D. ,5s; Osbeck & Co £2 2s; C H. Huus Ltd., £1 1s; small sums collected by Mr Huus, 17s 6d; John Anderson, High Shields 10s 6d; small sums collected by Mr Anderson £2 0s 6d. We have now closed this fund the total amount received being £233 0s 6d; and we take tins opportunity of thanking the public generally for their spontaneous generosity for this most deserving object, and we should also like to tender our best thanks to you for the very valuable assistance you have granted to us by publishing our letters in connection with the fund from time to time.-Yours, etc.,

T. H. Catcheside & Co

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 8 January 1903