Another Nameboard Found

About ten o'clock this morning another board bearing the name "Juhrneek, Riga," was found on the beach close to the Lord Dufferin wreck. It is presumed to be that of the ill-fated brigantine which foundered with all hands off the end of the South Pier this morning.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 13 November 1901

A smaller craft said to be the Russian ketch Jurhneek of Riga, whose name board was found upon the beach is still lying keel up at high watermark. She would carry about six hands, all of whom have been drowned. When or where she foundered is not positively known, but she is probably the little vessel that was swallowed up close to the North pier.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 14 November 1901

The Wreck of the Juhrneeks
Funeral of the Victims

Much sympathy was evinced yesterday in Tynemouth and North Shields on the occasion of the interment of the three victims the wreck of the Russian ketch, Juhrneeks, off Sharpness Point, last Wednesday. The members of the Tynemouth Volunteer Life brigade decided to make the funeral a public one, and with this end in view they did their utmost in making the cortege as representative as possible. A start was made from Tynemouth shortly after two o'clock, thousands of people thronging the streets to catch a view of the solemn procession, which included the Tynemouth Silver Model Band, conducted by J. W. A. Eskdale, Hogarth’s Band, conductor, Mr Hogarth; and the Wellesley Band. Mr J. W. Shutt conducting; the members of the Coastguard under the command of Chief Officer Craven; the Tynemouth and South Shields Life Brigades, including County Ald. J. M. Winter, and Captains John Anderson, Robert Reed, F. Hudson, T. Fry, W. W. Fry and T. Ferguson, of the Tynemouth Brigade, and Captain George Ogilvie and Deputy Captains Thompson, Newby, Bell, and Scrafton from the South Shields Brigade; the Tynemouth Lifeboatmen were also represented. A number of marines and bluejackets from H.M.S. Andromache were present, in charge of Corporal Lawford, as were also the Wellesley Boys, and a very large number of sailors and firemen representing many nationalities, organised by Mr Wm. Brown, of the National Federated Seamen's Union of Great Britain and Ireland.

The coffins, each covered with the Russian flag, were conveyed the cemetery in separate hearses were interred in separated graves. Member, of the Tynemouth Lifeboatmen, clad in their cork jackets, acted as pall bearers. Two members of the Tynemouth Brigade carried a beautiful cross, woven in seaweed, and made by Mr W. H. Fry and Mr J. Taylor. Thousands people followed the procession to the cemetery where thousands more awaited its arrival. Following the last hearse was the sole survivor John Luhs, and the Russian Consul Baron Heyking.

The Lutheran burial service was read in Russian, the ministers being the Rev. Mr Cramer of Newcastle, and the Rev Mr Walters of South Shields. The church was crowded, while at the graveside the crowd was immense. After the service had been concluded at the grave, the Russian Consul said the Lord’s Prayer in English and pronounced he Benediction. He then took up a position on a mound, and in a voice touched with emotion, said he felt it was his duty to thank them the graveside of those unfortunate sailors who had fallen on the battlefield of honest hard sailors' work, and to express, as the representative his countrymen, his hearty thanks to the lifeboatmen and lifebrigadesmen who so bravely and unselfishly saved the only survivor, Mr John Luhs, He wished to thank them all for their spontaneous presence at that sad ceremony. He knew that every English heart felt profound sympathy with every sailor whatever nationality who fell victim at his post of duty. He, therefore, in place of Captain Zihral, and the sailors and Schmid and Slessor gave them his hearty thanks for the way they had honoured their memory their presence. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr J. T. ┬áMarch, of Messrs G. Fogg and Co.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 18 November 1901

as she lies stranded on the South Shield Beach

T GLOVER & SON are instructed by the Russian Consul to SELL BY AUCTION in One Lot the above-mentioned vessel as she is now stranded on the Beach, on Thursday 21st. inst. at 3 o’clock in the Afternoon prompt. She was thoroughly over hauled at Riga three months ago and appears to have sustained little damage to the hull.

Auction Offices, 64 King Street, South Shields

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 20 November 1901