Golden Lily

Fishing Vessel Ashore on the Herd Sands

Golden Lilly


Within ten minutes of the stranding of the first vessel, something like consternation spread among the thousands of spectators who had gathered on the pier and the beach at the sight of a small craft rapidly driving ashore on the Herd Sands. She eventually came to grief about 200 yards from the Groyne lighthouse, and as sea after sea broke upon her she was lifted a long way through the surf upon the beach. She came in for a terrible buffetting, and it was feared she would go to pieces before succour could be rendered to those on board. A messenger was dispatched to the Brigade House, but as has been already shewn, the brigadesmen were at that time giving their attention to a wreck on the opposite side of the pier. Timely aid, however, came from a number of pilots and civilians, who were among the first to see the casualty. It was impossible to reach the vessel, but the crew on board hit upon the happy expedient of dropping a lifebuoy with a line attached, overboard. The buoy was washed towards the shore, and several of the men waded into the surf and dragged the line out. In this way communication was successfully established and the crew of the vessel, eight in number, including the owner, came along the rope, held taut from the shore, and were picked out of the surf and taken to the Life Brigade House.

They were the first of the shipwrecked men to reach the Brigade House. Their vessel, it appears, is the Golden Lily, a fishing smack belonging to Inverness where she is owned by Mr Alex. Bakie. She was bound from Yarmouth to Hopeman, which is in the Moray Firth.

The crew of the Golden Lily, seen in the Brigade House by a representative of the Gazette gave a most exciting narrative of storm. Shortly after leaving Yarmouth they encountered a stiff breeze, which increased to such force yesterday, according to the story of the crew, that it was quite a miracle they were not washed overboard. During the whole of yesterday their vessel drilled just at the mercy of the fury of the storm. The crew attempted to bear up for Hartlepool during the forenoon, but this had to be abandoned. In consequence of the thick showers of sleet prevailing, it was impossible to steer the vessel on a straight course. Just about dusk Souter light was seen and it was then decided to make for Shields.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 13 November 1901

The fishing smack Golden Lily, on the Herd Sand, had also been carried well up on to the beach , and was a total wreck.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 13 November 1901