A very thick fog prevailed along the Durham and Northumberland coast on Sunday evening and during yesterday, rendering navigation in the vicinity of the Tyne exceedingly hazardous. About three o'clock yesterday morning the Faversham brigantine, Gilpin, bound from London for the Tyne, struck the rocks at what is known as the Velvet Beds, about two miles from South Shields, Two hours later the tug Eddystone arrived on the scene, and an attempt was made to tow the vessel off, but as soon as she moved it was seen that she was taking in water, having apparently been badly damaged. In these circumstances the attempt to save her was given up. The crew, eight in number, with the master, Captain Watson, got together all their belongings, and were taken on board the Eddystone, and landed at Shields.

Source: Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligence 11 June 1912

Ashore Near Marsden
Wreck of a Brigantine

While on a passage from London to the Tyne the brigantine Gilpin, of Faversham, went ashore during the prevalence of dense fog a little the north of Marsden Bay early yesterday morning. Laden with 320 tons of burnt ore for the Bede Metal Works, the vessel became enveloped in the fog on Sunday afternoon, and the weather continued very thick throughout the night. As a result she got out her course, and struck the shore on a point of rocks jutting out seawards, between Manhaven and the Velvet Beds, Marsden, There was an easterly wind, but it was not strong, and the sea was comparatively smooth. When the master. Captain Wilson, found he had got ashore he at once ran out a kedge and dropped his anchors to prevent the brigantine driving further upon the rocks.

Subsequently the tug Eddystone, Capt. Stewart, having informed the casualty, went to render assistance. An attempt was made to tow the Gilpin off, but it was found she had been holed by the rocks, and as she moved she commenced to fill. It was evident that if towed to deep water she would have sunk, so the salvage work was given up. The Marsden Coastguardsmen were present the shore with life-saving appliances, but their services were not required, the crew of the Gilpin, eight, in number, leaving in their own boat and boarding the Eddystone, which took them to the Seamen’s Institute at the Mill Dam, South Shields. Subsequently they proceeded to the Sailors’ Home at North Shields, where their requirements were attended, to by Mr J. Mose, the superintendent, the agent the Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society. They were able save their clothes.

When she was abandoned the brigantine was full of water, and there was every indication that she would become a total wreck, though it is probable that the stores, sails, etc., may be salved. The Gilpin, a vessel of 176 tons register, was built at Bideford in 1869. During yesterday she was rolling a good deal, and some wreckage, including part of her hatches, was washed ashore.

Source: Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette 11 June 1912