F. T. Barry

Fog on the Coast
Steamer Ashore at Marsden

At an early hour this morning, during the prevalence of a dense fog, a screw collier went ashore on the rocks at Marsden, and according to the latest information remains fast. It is stated that the steamer was bound for the Tyne at the time of the casualty. The vessel is reported holed.
Our shipping reporter writing later says:—The screw steamer which went ashore at Marsden early this morning is the F. T. Barry, of London, and was bound from Bremerhaven to the Tyne, light. She went ashore about 12.30 this morning, in a dense fog. When the fog had somewhat cleared, it was found that the vessel had gone ashore half-way between the Velvet Beds and Marsden Rock, and was hard and fast, and it was seen that it would be impossible to get her off at high water in her own steam. The vessel is lying on the rocks, her head pointing in a westerly direction. Her stern is rather deep in the water, and it is feared that, from the dangerous position in which she lies, she must be seriously holed aft. Shortly before six o'clock this morning part of crew came ashore in their own boat and at the same time bringing with them some of their clothing. The men were received at the Marsden Inn, a short distance from where the steamer is stranded. The master, Captain Evans, and some other crew remained on board. One of the officers during the morning came ashore for the purpose of wiring to the owners, respecting the accident. About ten o'clock two steamtugs proceeded to the scene to render any assistance possible, and were followed later by another tug, but after dodging about for some time they steamed away without anything whatever being done. It has not yet been ascertained when an attempt will be made to float the vessel, but no time will be lost. During this forenoon a number of persons made their way towards Marsden beach to view the stranded steamer. At the time of writing the weather still continues exceedingly foggy seaward, and navigation is seriously interrupted.
A Lloyd's telegram says:—The F. T. Barry, British steamer, stranded on the rocks off Marsden four miles from South .Shields. The rocks are through the bottom of the ship, which is full water.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 21 April 1893

The Stranded Steamer F. T, Barry

 As reported our later editions of yesterday, the screw-steamer F. T. Barry stranded on the rocks off Marsden, four miles from South Shields. The rocks are through the bottom of the ship, which is full of water.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 22 April 1893

The Steamer F. T. Barry Floated.

The s.s. Barry, of London, which went ashore at Marsden, on Friday, was successfully floated this morning and brought into Shields Harbour by several tugs. She was placed upon the Lime Kiln Shore at North Shields.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 24 April 1893


(To the Editor of the "Shields Gazette."]

Sir,—Kindly allow me, on behalf of the firemen to return our sincere thanks to Mr Thomas Varley, of Marsden, for the able way that he piloted our lifeboat in on Friday morning last, after the stranding of the s.s. F. H. Barry, and likewise for the hearty breakfast part of them received at his house. By inserting this you will much oblige.—Yours, &c, Henry Sutton.

Chief Engineer, s.s. F. H. Barry

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 28 April 1893

The screw steamer F. T. Barry, of London, which, it will remembered, went ashore at Marsden a short time ago, during the prevalence of a dense fog, and was afterwards floated and brought into the Tyne in a sinking condition, is at present on Messrs. Smith's Pontoon, North Shields, where she is undergoing extensive repairs. The bulk of the plates in the vessel's bottom are being taken out, besides her sternpost and rudder.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 2 May 1893

The Stranding of the F. T. Barry at Marsden
Inquiry South Shields

Yesterday, a Board of Trade Inquiry was opened at the Local Marine Board Examination Rooms, Mill Dam, South Shields, as to the stranding of the screw steamer F. T. Barry, of London, near Marsden Rock, on or about the 21st April, while on a voyage from Bremerhaven, bound to the Tyne. The Court consisted of Messrs J. Nicholson and J. Bowman, borough magistrates, assisted by Commander Bragg, R.N.R., and Captain Hoare, nautical assessors. Mr F. W. Dendy represented the Board Trade, Mr Davidson appeared on behalf of the master, Captain Rowland Evans, and Mr J. M. Smith, appeared for the chief officer, Mr Thomas Humphreys.

Mr Dendy, in his opening remarks, said that the F. T. Barry was stranded near Marsden Rock, on or about the 21st April. The F. T. Barry was built at Middlesbrough in 1872, and her dimensions were 220 ft. long, 31ft. 2in. broad, and 15ft. 5in. in depth. She was schooner rigged, and was fitted with two engines of 99h.p.combined, and was owned by the Talisin Ship Company, Limited. Mr Thos. Owen of 32 Cornwall Read, Finsbury Park, London, was the managing owner. The vessel left Bremerhaven in water ballast, on the 19th of April last, with a crew of 14 hands and one passenger bound for the Tyne. The weather was fine, and at noon the 20th April the vessel had run 187 miles, and was by observation in lat. 54 30 N. The master was preparing to go on deck, when the mate came down, and reported that the vessel had suddenly run into a dense fog, and that the engines had been slowed down. The vessel was then felt to strike the ground, and the master on going on deck found that she was hard and fast about 300 yards north of Marsden Rock. The engineer reported water coming into the engine room. The boats were got out but were not used till the following morning at daylight when the firemen and engineers were landed. The vessel was subsequently floated off, and taken into the Tyne.

The master, Captain Rowland Evans, was then called. He said he was the master of the s.s. F. T. Barry, and he held a certificate of competency, No. 93,428. The steamer left Bremerhaven on the 19th April, bound for the Tyne. His crew consisted of 14 hands, there was one passenger on board, a distressed seaman. He always set the courses by the pole compass. The patent log had not been very long in use, but it had always been found approximately correct. He set course from the Weser Lightship south-west, about three miles distant. He took his account from the patent log. On taking his observations he found that the vessel was making good course. When he went below he left his chief officer in charge. The weather at that time was fine and clear, a light breeze blowing from the north-east and a smooth sea. He was woke up by the vessel's steam whistle going. He would not be certain what time it was. He immediately got up and just then the chief mate informed him that the vessel had run into dense fog. When the vessel took the ground witness went on deck immediately. The vessel was reported to be filling. The engineers reported that the water was rising in the engine room. The boats were got out that night but they were not used until the following day. At daylight it was found that the vessel had stranded about 300 yards from Marsden Rock, and three miles south of the Tyne. The steamer was holed under the engine room, and under both holds. The standing orders were that he, Captain Evans, had to called whenever there was any doubt in the navigation of the vessel, and always when there was fog.

Thos. Humphreys, chief mate, said that on the 20th April he came on duty at 8 p.m. The weather was then fine. The vessel would attain a speed of 10 knots per hour, when light. The deep sea lead was always kept on the top of the chart-house. The hand lead was kept in the chart-house, and always ready for use. He had been three years in the ship. He could not say whether the patent log was wrong, but in his opinion the ship had over-run her distance in dense fog. He had sailed in the ship with Captain Evans about three years, and always found him a careful navigator. The weather was clear at 12 p.m. did not see Souter Point light. Witness expected the vessel was 20 miles from the land 12 o'clock at night. The man who relieved witness was informed to keep a good look out, as Souter Point light was expected to be seen, and when seen to call the master.

After further evidence, Mr Dendy submitted the usual questions on behalf of the Board of Trade. Mr Davidson addressed the Court for the master, and Mr Smith on behalf of the mate, Mr Humphreys. The inquiry was then adjourned till to-day, when judgment will be given.

Source: Shields Daily Gazette 12 May 1893